Wednesday 25 February 2009

New Clothes!

Beyond the understanding of some is the inherent love for shopping which is familiar to so many of the female species. I admit that we do not all fit this generalisation, but as a 'thirty something' mum with little time for the luxuries of clothes shopping, I myself very much appreciate the opportunity to wander quietly round the shops without some small someone tugging at my arm, requesting sweets, toys, or just needing the toilet, AGAIN!!!!! Over the last few months I have found myself on more than one occassion walking the supermarket aisles late into the evening, sometimes as necessity dictates: the nappies I forgot to buy; the emergency shreddies' expedition; and other essentials (Yes, I mean the chocolate!) Quite often, however, I will end up in the clothes aisle, perusing the latest bargains and if I am really reckless in the changing room itself!!!! Yes, I know I need to get out more! I like clothes, but often in the craziness of life it is the least I can manage to grab some that are clean and flat, without paying too much attention to fashion or coordination...a shocking but true reality! I recall however, the great, if somewhat distant, feeling when I manage to cast aside the old clothes and find something that fits and looks good (always a challenge in the ever fluctuating world of the pregnant/nursing mother!)

Yesterday morning, having read a bit from Zechariah to the kids, Poppy drew a picture of what God had said to her! She drew one girl wearing dull boring clothes, another wearing what she described as "Fab, new clothes", covered in hearts and stars, and she wrote "You've got to change out of your old life and get a new life!" The word became even clearer when I read Zechariah 3 this morning. God wants us to come back to him, to listen and turn from our sinful ways, and to swap our dirty, filthy clothes, for fine new ones! I am reminded of the makeover programmes and am challenged. How many of us would choose to continue in the old clothes if offered a new designer wardrobe!?

God wants us to experience his new life! He wants us to be clean and feel fab! He has fine new clothes for us to wear! We just have to put them on!

Romans 13:14
Clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.

Galatians 3:27
And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Love it - great revelation from Poppy! Oh and we may bump into one another during a late night Tesco run...I'm prone to those too!!