Thursday 25 September 2008

Words, words, words...

One of my greatest desires is to have a household that is full of peace, harmony & grace. I am not simply an idealist, this is what God wants for me too! God is able and with him all things are possible! I must remember however that it is my responsibility work with the Spirit, for he has the keys that will make my life a success! One of these keys is my words!

Words are powerful, they have the power to create or to destroy, to build or to tear down. It is my responsibility, with God, to build my house. But as the Bible says...

The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. Proverbs 14:1

Of course, I do not want to be a woman who carelessly tears down the very thing she is trying to build. So, I am learning to take greater care in how I speak to others, especially my own family, and even moreso in moments of pressure! To demonstrate gentleness, patience and kindness in the words I use. Proverbs is full of great wisdom about wise words, here are just a few to think on.

A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare. Proverbs 15:1

A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel. Proverbs 15:18

When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness. Proverbs 31:26

We all live in the real world, and at some time or another have to deal with conflict of some sort! When we find ourselves in these situations, with our children, husbands, parents, it would do us good to remember these verses! I tried this out this week, and not surprisingly I found...it worked! As I chose to be more gentle, kind and patient with my children they behaved so much better and our household became more peaceful, at least 2 out of the 5 school mornings!!!!! :)

Whatever our natural tendency, if we ask God to help us by his Spirit, we can become fruitful, demonstrating his patience, kindness & gentleness. Why would I choose to live in my own weakness and lack when God can give me all I need to build a great and happy family?!

Dont be condemned. If you ask, Jesus will forgive you, wipe your slate clean & fill you with his Spirit so you can have a brand new successful life!

No comments: