Monday 29 September 2008

A Spoonful of Sugar

I am a great fan of kids' movies and Mary Poppins is a classic. Refreshing and inspiring, it challenges me to enjoy my children while they are young and to find the fun in everything I do! However, I am daily searching for that spoonful of sugar that 'makes the job a game'! For those of you who live in the real world you will know that it is not always as easy as it first appears! Oh, to click my fingers and find the toys march themselves back into the box, or the clothes fold themselves neatly into drawers. It is the stuff that dreams are made of! But God, in his superior wisdom, did not design us to live that way! He designed us to work.

God did not , however, intend our work, or lives, to be mundane, monotonous or mind numbing! Jesus came that we might have the best life, one that is exciting, fun & full of adventure!!! It is a gift of God that we are content and find satisfaction in whatever we do! So often, however, we fail to experience the dynamic, fulfilling life that God wants us to know. Instead as fast as the wash basket is emptied, it is overflowing again, and the newly ironed clothes return again to the bedroom's crumpled heap!!!! A familiar & often demoralising tale! I am aware that I am attempting the impossible and in reality I can no more complete the household chores set before me, than catch the wind! I am not superwoman, and I can not do everything.

And then I am reminded of the verse in Phillippians "I can do all things through him who gives me strength". With all my human limitations God can enable me to be successful. The task of mother, wife, housekeeper, cleaner, cook, chauffeur, the list is endless,.....is a continual challenge, but God does not want me to try to achieve it alone. God designed me to be in relationship with him & part of his family! Only if I follow his ways, being full of the Holy Spirit and part of his body, can I expect to be successful! So, I must learn to be full of the Spirit every minute of every day. With his help, working with his power, and not by myself, I can do all things and will know contentment in everything I do.

Check it out in the Bible...
Ecclesiastes 5:18
John 10:10
Phillippians 4:11-13

No comments: