Monday 15 September 2008

Chocolate Challenge!

Having given birth nearly 9 months ago I sense it is now time to stop playing the baby card. "Nine months on, nine months off", or so they say. And although I can see my feet again I still have some way to go before I consider myself to be back to my former glory!!!! My weakness, or at least one of them, is chocolate, a stumbling block familiar to many of us, but I am also a great fan of curry, wine, seafood, in fact I am not really discerning at all. I like food! And, as a northern lass, the larger the portion the better!!! I am in my element in the 'Eat as much as you like' buffet, where I am always surprised how little some of my more 'feminine' friends eat before they claim to be 'fit to burst'. Faced with the challenge, I could just keep on going!!! Food is good! It is a gift of God, given to sustain us and for us to ENJOY!!!! As Ecclesiastes says, "Eat your food and drink your wine, its alright with God". And so obediently, and to the best of my ability, I do just that!

But I am learning that God wants me to be FREE! Not to be controlled by anything or anyone, but only by Jesus. "For he who the Son sets free is free indeed!" I am, unlike the popular phrase, NOT what I eat! I am a child of God, chosen by him, for his purposes. I am beautiful, and my beauty comes from within, not from outward adornment, a new hair cut (though my recent was very nice!) or a perfect figure (chance would be a fine thing!), but from God's love inside me, and his light shining out!

God is jealous for my affection and he wants to be number one in my life! Food is great, it should be enjoyed and appreciated but it should not control me! Only Jesus should be my master! The Bible tells me that "God has not given me a spirit of fear (or timidity), but of power, love and SELF DISCIPLINE!" That means that even though I don't always feel it, I have the power to say no to the things which do me harm and yes to the things that do me good. I don't have to ask for discipline, I already have it!!!!

And so the things that do me good, to name but a few. To spend time with God, to listen to his voice, to read his word (the Bible) and be changed by Jesus every day, to be more like him. To spend time in prayer, talking with God and listening to him. And to meet with others. God did not design us to be alone, it is not good! We need to be part of his family, where we can help one another, love one another and grow together. Sometimes I neglect these things and find myself overcome with other things that life throws at me (tidying, cleaning, cooking, taxiing, disciplining...you probably have your own list!) The result is often...stress, worry, boredom, depression...we stop enjoying life!!!

Today, after settling the children, I decided to open a bar of chocolate and have a glass of wine whilst trying to settle my littlest who has decided that its time to start serious teething and develop a stinking cold at the same time!!!! Wine and chocolate, I decided, would be a pefect remedy for the sleep deprivation! Unfortunately in the split second after opening the wrapper I made a small, but serious, error. I threw away the chocolate instead of the wrapper!!!! Thankfully it was only one piece and I realised my folly before any more was lost! Immediately I was reminded that sometimes in the business of life we, in turn, throw out the things that are most valuable and 'tasty', and keep the rubbish instead! Let us not take that crazy option, and never forget the value of spending time with Jesus, reading his word, finding him in prayer and meeting with people who help us to grow in him! God wants us to find satisfaction in him alone, despite the slimming yoghurts claims of "lasting satisfaction", nothing else will satisfy, nothing else compares to knowing him!

And so, my plan is to spend the next few weeks and months putting these principles into action. To be disciplined, be full of Jesus, instead of chocolate, and in the business of life not throw out the things that really satisfy in place of rubbish! Feel free to join me, keep me accountable and watch this space...

No comments: