Friday 17 October 2008

He can work it out!

I don't consider myself to be the worrying type. In fact, in general I am quite relaxed, assured that God has my life in his hands and I don't need to waste my time worrying when he is in charge of it all. Recently, however, in spite of a chilled perception of myself, I have found myself doing just that...worrying!! Worry is essentially being preoccupied with anxious thoughts about something or another! And boy has my brain been buzzing! I have found myself worried about all kinds of things; my time, the kids, clubs, school, church...!!! The thoughts and worries going round my small brain have been vast and very disconcerting!!! But I am realising that this is not what God wants for me!

I am reminded of the verse that tells us to "Take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" 2 Corinthians 10:5 Jesus wants to be in charge of every area of our lives, even our thoughts, he wants us to be free from worry, which can do us no good! He wants us to know his peace!

The Bible tells us that we should not worry, for "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:27

Worrying is pointless, it changes nothing and it makes us feel PANTS! So how do we get out of the worrying trap?

We should pray! Philippians 4:6-7 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." God is a God of peace, and as we talk with him, thank him, and listen to him, he will share his peace with us!

We should trust him! Proverbs 3:5 puts it this way, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your path straight". Life is sometimes confusing, things do not always go according to our plan and it is not always clear what God is up to! But we do not have to understand every detail and we don't have to try to work it out! Our understanding is very limited, and if we try to work it out usually we end up worrying again!! Only God has the blueprint for our lives. We simply need to learn to remember him in everything we do & trust him! He can work it out!

We find ourselves in a world full of people stressing about all kinds of stuff; money, family, terrorism, crime, work, the list is endless. Jesus meets us where we are and takes us where we could never get without him! Even when we haven't got a clue what is going on, or what to do, we can put our lives into his hands and know his peace! He makes all things beautiful in his time! How fantastic that when faced with worry we can know us his peace and share his peace with others!

No comments: